5 Reasons You Need to Know How to Leverage Social Networking While Mitigating Risk
By: David Etue, VP, Corporate Development Strategy, SafeNet
With social media becoming such a big part of our culture it is getting harder and harder not to participate in. Whether you are already an active participant or are just looking to learn more, here are some reasons that knowing how to leverage the benefits you want while minimizing the risk are necessary skills:
1. Social networks have become part of the fabric of how we communicate and collaborate as a society – ignoring social media is no longer an option!
2. Many enterprises and government agencies to looking to leverage social media for gains remain hesitant to utilize them or desire to "dial back" their use because of inherent risks in their use.
3. The rise of the social web and related technologies (e.g., mobile, location based services) has enabled faster information sharing and quicker feedback cycles across a much broader audience.
4. Social media sites contain significant amounts of valuable information and are used by to find sensitive information, use directly as an attack vector, or for reconnaissance for attacks through other channels.
5. Most organizations have already exposed themselves to significant risk in this new medium. Make sure you are aware of what risk you can correct and what you can prevent.
Despite the risk, using mitigation techniques including policy, training and technology recommendations the risks present in social networking can be lessened. Don’t miss out on the benefits of social media when you can learn to mitigate the risk.
Hear more about leveraging social networking from David Etue at GovSec. Register for his session and choose from 40+ others! Plus, as a reader of this blog use code: EWGE36 to get 20% off registration prices –go to GovSecInfo.com!